Recipes For Good Eye Health
THE EYE CARE EDITION
Recipes For Good Eye Health
Charred Broccolli, Orange & kale salad with
Carrot Ginger Turmeric Dressing
Recipe & Styling by Emma Reeves
- Grilled or pan fried salmon.
- Buddha bowl by adding tofu, additional greens such as snow peas, brussel sprouts and raw sprouts
- Poke Bowl served with sliced raw salmon or tuna
- Serve as a side salad with grilled chicken, pork or beef
- Swap out lentils for brown rice, quinoa or cous cous
- 1 x bunch Broccollini
- 1 x small bunch Kale or 4 large leaves
- 2 x Orange’s cut into thick slices
- 1 x Avocado
- To garnish; micro greens or any fresh herbs at hand, coriander or mint is lovely!
- 1 cup cooked dried black belugar lentils or (cheats fast track ,1 can your choice of lentils)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bay leaf or a piece of kombu
- 2 tablespoon’s finley diced red onion
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider (or flavoured vinegar like sherry or balsamic)
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup almonds roughly sliced
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
For the carrot, ginger and turmeric dressing:
- ½ teaspoon turmeric or 1 table spoon fresh turmeric
- 1 tsp honey
- 3 tablespoons carrot grated
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 table spoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons / 30g nut butter
- 3 tablespoons/ 45ml filtered water
- Pinch of salt & freshly ground black pepper
To make the Carrot Dressing: Using a blender or an immersion blender, combine all ingredients and blend until smooth, adding more water if needed to thin the dressing. Adjust seasoning to taste. Set aside until ready to use. Dressing can be made in advance and refrigerated, tightly covered, for up to 5 days.
To Cook Lentils: Rinse lentils & then place in a sized medium saucepan with garlic & bay leaves, cover with cold water by at least 1 inch. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes. add additional liquid if needed. Drain the lentils, discarding the garlic and bay leaves. Once drained add the olive oil, diced onion, vinegar, then season with salt + pepper. (Some lentils cook faster than others, so just check after 18mins)
To Char the Broccolini, Kale & Orange:
Wash the greens pat dry then toss separately with olive oil salt and pepper. Heat grill plate on stove top or BBQ until smoking hot turn down heat to a medium flame and char for 5 – 10 minutes, just
until its charred slightly remains bright green and just tender to bight. Once its hot & charred it will keep cooking after you take it off the burner, so by just keeping it slightly under done, you can keep it quite aldente, crisp to bite!
Season Orange slices with salt and pepper, char until lightly caramelised on the out side
Maple Toasted Nuts & Seeds:
Toss the almonds, sunflower seeds & Pepita seeds with maple syrup, place onto a baking tray covered with baking paper. Lightly toast approx 8 -10 mins in a pre heated oven at 180c for 5 – 8 mins. When lightly golden, take out the oven & allow to cool completely, once the nuts are cooled they will be crunchy and ready to toss through salad.
To Assemble: Serve individually or as one big platter to share.
Place a spoonful of the lentils on your serving plate or cover base of platter. Layer with charred vege & charred orange, arrange sliced avocado on top. Spoon over turmeric dressing, and scatter over with toasted seeds. To garnish ad a few extra herbs if you have on hand micro greens, coriander or mint.