HOME MEDICINE SERVICE
Date: 19th March 2020
To support and protect some of the most vulnerable members of our community, National Pharmacies has immediately implemented the Australian Governments Home Medicine Service for PBS prescriptions for eligible customers.
This temporary service allows for the Australian Government to subsidize home delivery of Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) and Repatriation Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (RPBS) medications. Importantly this service removes the need for a patient to visit the pharmacy in person.
The delivery service will be free of charge for eligible customers.
Free delivery only available for delivery within 5kms of a National Pharmacies store. Additional charges may apply outside these areas.
- Holders of a Medicare or DVA card and
- Isolating themselves at home on the advice of a medical practitioner, for confirmed COVID-19 cases; or
- Meeting the current national triage protocol criteria for suspected COVID-19 infection after consultation with either the national COVID-19 hotline, state COVID-19 hotlines, a registered medical or nursing practitioner or COVID-19 trained health clinic triage staff; or
- Aged over 70; or
- Identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander and are aged over 50; or
- People with chronic health conditions or who are immunocompromised; or
- Parents with new babies or people who are pregnant
- A patient can only claim the Service once per month
- Must include at least one PBS/RPBS medicine requiring a prescription
- Prescriptions can be ordered online (via MedAdvisor), mailed or faxed/emailed
- Please include Name, delivery address and contact phone number clearly on all orders
- Please note – THE PAPER PRESCRIPTION WILL BE REQUIRED. These can be posted to store, dropped off by a third party or in person once the current isolation period has ceased.
This does not preclude the patient from ordering one or more non-Eligible Items to be delivered in the same order.
The following information must be retained by National Pharmacies for seven years to support any claim for payment made under these Program Rules:
- PBS Approval Number (Section 90 number at the time of the provision of the Home Medicines Service)
- Identifier of Registered Pharmacist who dispensed the medication(s) (e.g. AHPRA registration number)
- Identifier of person undertaking the delivery
- How the delivery person complied with the current sanitary and isolation protocols relevant to the containment and management of COVID-19 within the community.
- Consent from the Patient – either in writing or verbally with a declaration by the dispensing pharmacist that they have obtained verbal consent;
- Patient’s name and address;
- Patient’s Medicare/DVA Card number;
- Which of the eligibility criteria in Clause 3.2 applies to this Patient;
- List of all PBS/RPBS prescription medicine delivered
- SA deliveries will be undertaken by our partner, Jet Couriers
- VIC and NSW order will be delivered by Star Track
If you have any further questions or enquiries please contact your local National Pharmacies store.
Stay safe and thank you for your continued support.