Obstructive Sleep Apnoea (OSA) is a sleeping disorder in which breathing is repeatedly interrupted during sleep. The good news is, you can be successfully treated with Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) therapy, the treatment of choice for OSA.
What are the symptoms I should watch out for?
- Loud persistent snoring
- Excessive daytime sleepiness
- Choking or gasping for air during sleep
- Morning headaches
- Depression and irritability
- Restlessness during sleep
- Frequent night time visits to the bathroom
- Sexual dysfunction
- Dozing off while driving, reading or watching TV.
If you have answered ‘yes’ to any of these symptoms, book a sleep consultation at one of our participating stores: Blackwood, Glenelg, Golden Grove, Mt Barker, or visit your closest National Pharmacies store for further information.
How it works
There are a number of steps to go through to help you manage sleep apnoea.
- Fill out the screening form found in-store to assess whether you might have sleep apnoea.
- Speak to your GP about your symptoms regarding sleep apnoea and have your GP fill out a referral form and send it back to us. We can assist with this step.
- Depending on your referral, we may set up a hospital or home-based sleep study for you.
- After the study, we will download and analyse your sleep data. Your report will be sent to your referring GP and our sleep and respiratory physician for review.
- Depending on your results, we will follow up with appropriate treatment options. Treatment options include:
- Lifestyle modifications such as weight loss, exercise, quitting smoking and avoiding alcohol.
- Trial of a CPAP therapy via a device and mask.
If your sleep and respiratory physician decides CPAP therapy is an ideal treatment option for you, we will trial CPAP devices and masks over a 4-6 week period, with follow up consultations to determine what equipment works best for you.
After the trial, you can purchase your own equipment and we will continue to follow up with you over the next 12 months to ensure you are getting the most from your treatment.
Ask in-store how we can assist you on your sleep apnoea treatment journey today.