Spiced Apply Pie with Ginger Ice CreamNational Pharmacies
225g plain flour
125g chilled unsalted butter, chopped
80g icing sugar, plus extra, for dusting
2 egg yolks
1kg Granny Smith apples, cored, thinly sliced
60mL fresh lemon juice
65g caster sugar
2 teaspoons cornflour
1 tablespoon water
1 egg yolk, lightly whisked
1tsp cinnamon, ground
1tsp ginger ground
1/2 tsp nutmeg, ground
1/2 tsp vanilla powder (or essence)
1Ltr good quality vanilla ice cream 50gms crystalized ginger, finely chopped (use food processor to turn into a fine crumb. Be sure not to over pulse)
- To make the pastry, place the flour, sugar and butter in the bowl of a food processor. Process until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add one egg at a time and process until the mixture just comes together. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Divide the pastry. Shape one into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap. Shape the remaining into another disc and cover with plastic wrap. Place the discs in the fridge for 20 minutes to rest.
- Meanwhile, place the apple, lemon juice and sugar in a large saucepan. Cover and bring to a simmer over low-medium heat. Add all spices. Cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg vanilla. Cook, covered, for 10 minutes or until apple is just tender.
- Combine the cornflour and water in a bowl. Add to the apple mixture. Cook, stirring, over medium-low heat until the mixture thickens. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 180 degree C. Roll out one pastry disc between 2 sheets of non-stick baking paper to a 30cm diameter disc. Line the base and side of springform pan with the pastry. Trim any excess pastry. Use a fork to prick the pastry all over. Place in the fridge for 20 minutes to rest.
- Spoon the apple mixture into the pastry case. Brush the edge of the pastry with a little egg yolk. Roll out the remaining disc on a lightly floured surface to a 20cm-diameter disc. Place on top of the pan and press onto the pastry case. Pinch the edges together to seal. Brush pastry with remaining egg yolk. Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly. Serve with ginger ice-cream.
- To make the ginger ice cream, allow the vanilla ice cream to slightly soften. Stir through crystallised ginger pieces. Allow to refreeze in freezer before serving
Recipes & Food Styling by Pieces of me
The content displayed on this webpage is intended for informational purposes and should be used as a guide only. This information does not replace or substitute professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Information contained on this webpage must be discussed with an appropriate healthcare professional before any action is taken based on the content of this webpage.