CPAP therapy, which stands for Continuous Positive Airway Pressure therapy, is a highly successful and widely utilised treatment for obstructive Sleep Apnoea (OSA). Its primary purpose is to keep the airway open and ensure a continuous flow of air during sleep. This is achieved through the use of a machine that delivers pressurised air through a mask that covers the nose, mouth, or both.
The advantages of CPAP Therapy
To achieve optimal results, consistent and regular use of CPAP therapy is necessary. It is crucial to collaborate closely with healthcare professionals to ensure proper setup, appropriate mask fitting, and adjustment of pressure settings, thereby maximising the e!ectiveness and comfort of CPAP therapy.
CPAP Therapy can assist with:
- Snoring reduction: CPAP therapy can e!ectively decrease or eliminate snoring, benefiting both the individual undergoing treatment and their sleep partner.
- Enhanced sleep quality: By treating Sleep Apnoea e!ectively, CPAP therapy restores normal sleep patterns, leading to improved sleep quality, increased daytime alertness, and overall well-being.
- Alleviation of daytime symptoms: CPAP therapy helps alleviate daytime sleepiness, fatigue, and cognitive impairment caused by untreated Sleep Apnoea, leading to improved daytime functioning.
- Reduction of health risks: By e!ectively managing Sleep Apnoea, CPAP therapy lowers the associated health risks such as high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.
How does CPAP Therapy work?
The pressurised air acts as a support, preventing the airway from collapsing or narrowing, which can cause pauses in breathing and disrupt sleep in individuals with Sleep Apnoea. By maintaining a consistent airflow, CPAP therapy helps to maintain adequate oxygen levels and prevent the recurring sleep interruptions associated with the condition.
CPAP machines consist of a motor that generates the required air pressure. Healthcare professionals determine the appropriate pressure level based on the severity of the Sleep Apnoea and individual needs. The machine is connected to a mask that forms a seal under or over the nose, mouth, or both, delivering the pressurised air.
CPAP therapy involves three main components: an air pump, a mask, and a connecting tube. The air pump generates the necessary air pressure, which is then delivered through the tube and mask to keep the airways open while you sleep. This helps prevent the brain from waking the body in order to resume breathing and reduces disruptions throughout the night.
CPAP therapy is considered a safe and non-invasive treatment option. However, it’s important to note that CPAP is an ongoing treatment that requires consistent use. To achieve optimal results, it is crucial to use CPAP every night during sleep. Discontinuing CPAP therapy may lead to the return of previously experienced symptoms.
By adhering to CPAP therapy and using the equipment regularly, you can experience significant improvements in sleep quality and a reduction in Sleep Apnoea symptoms. It is advisable to consult with healthcare professionals to ensure the proper setup, fitting, and adjustment of CPAP equipment, thereby ensuring optimal comfort and e!ectiveness of the therapy.
The determination of the most suitable device is typically made in consultation with your healthcare provider or Respiratory and Sleep Specialist, considering your specific needs and condition.
There are two primary categories of CPAP devices available.
Automatic Pressure Devices
Automatic Pressure Devices have the capability to automatically adjust the pressure delivered through the tube. This intelligent feature is designed to be intuitive, adapting the pressure to meet your individual requirements at any given time.
Fixed Pressure Devices
With Fixed Pressure devices, a specific air pressure is programmed, and the device consistently delivers that fixed pressure of airflow through the tube. The pressure setting for a Fixed Pressure device is determined during your initial weeks of CPAP therapy under the guidance of your Respiratory and Sleep Specialist.
BiLevel Positive Airway Pressure
Another less frequently prescribed option is BiLevel Positive Airway Pressure (BiPAP or BPAP) devices. Similar to CPAP devices, BiPAP devices are a non-invasive treatment choice for Sleep Apnoea. They work to prevent airway collapse and assist with breathing during sleep. However, the key distinction is that BiPAP devices provide two pressure settings instead of one, with a higher pressure setting for inhalation (IPAP) and a lower pressure setting for exhalation (EPAP).
The selection of the most appropriate device depends on individual factors and requirements. For some patients with a stable condition, a Fixed Pressure device may be suitable. Others may benefit from an Automatic Pressure device that can adapt to their changing pressure needs. In certain cases, such as more severe or complex conditions, a BiPAP device may be more suitable.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the advantages of CPAP Therapy?
1. Snoring reduction: CPAP therapy can effectively decrease or eliminate snoring, benefiting both the individual undergoing treatment and their sleep partner.
2. Enhanced sleep quality: By treating Sleep Apnoea effectively, CPAP therapy restores normal sleep patterns, leading to improved sleep quality, increased daytime alertness, and overall well-being.
3. Alleviation of daytime symptoms: CPAP therapy helps alleviate daytime sleepiness, fatigue, and cognitive impairment caused by untreated Sleep Apnoea, leading to improved daytime functioning.
4. Reduction of health risks: By effectively managing Sleep Apnoea, CPAP therapy lowers the associated health risks such as high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.
To achieve optimal results, consistent and regular use of CPAP therapy is necessary. It is crucial to collaborate closely with healthcare professionals to ensure proper setup, appropriate mask fitting, and adjustment of pressure settings, thereby maximising the effectiveness and comfort of CPAP therapy.
I am an existing user of CPAP Therapy, what services do you offer?
For individuals who are currently using CPAP therapy, National Pharmacies offers a comprehensive therapy review conducted by a Sleep Consultant. This review aims to provide patients with an extensive 30-minute consultation, during which the following services are provided:
- Sleep Health assessment: Evaluating the overall sleep health and identifying any potential areas of improvement.
- Therapy downloads: Reviewing therapy data and analysing its effectiveness.
- Therapy review with necessary adjustments: Assessing the therapy settings and making any necessary adjustments to optimise treatment outcomes.
- Equipment check: Ensuring the PAP equipment is in proper working condition and addressing any issues or concerns.
- Mask fit calibration: Ensuring the mask fits properly and comfortably, making necessary adjustments for optimal fit and seal.
- Healthy living, eating, and sleeping tips: Providing advice and recommendations on maintaining a healthy lifestyle, including tips for improving sleep quality.
This CPAP therapy review with a National Pharmacies Sleep Consultant is specifically designed for existing CPAP therapy users, aiming to enhance the effectiveness of their treatment and overall sleep experience.
The cost for this service is $40 for National Pharmacies members and $50 for non-members. Other charges may include the purchase of a new device, mask and consumables.
Schedule a CPAP Therapy review here.
How do I get the best mask fit?
It is crucial to find the appropriate mask and ensure a proper fit for successful CPAP therapy. A variety of mask types are available for use with your CPAP device, including pillow masks, nasal masks, and full-face masks. Since there is no universal mask that suits everyone, several factors must be considered, such as breathing needs, sleep habits, comfort levels, facial hair, and facial structure.
To determine the right fit, we recommend scheduling a mask fit appointment. During this appointment, we will provide a selection of masks based on your specific needs and preferences, allowing you to try them on before purchasing.
The cost for this service is $40 for National Pharmacies members and $50 for non-members.
Schedule a CPAP Mask Fit appointment here.
How often should I replace my CPAP Mask?
The frequency of replacing your CPAP mask can vary depending on several factors, including the type of mask, its condition, and your personal comfort and hygiene preferences. As a general guideline, it is recommended to replace your CPAP mask every 6 to 12 months. However, it’s important to regularly inspect your mask for signs of wear and tear, such as degraded cushion or straps, and replace it sooner if necessary. Additionally, if you experience discomfort, air leaks, or notice a decline in the mask’s effectiveness, it may be a sign that it needs to be replaced. Regular cleaning and maintenance of your CPAP mask can also help prolong its lifespan and ensure optimal performance. Your National Pharmacies Sleep Consultant can provide further guidance on mask replacement based on your specific needs.
How often do I need to change the filters in my CPAP machine?
The frequency of changing the filters in your CPAP machine can vary depending on the type of filter and individual factors such as environmental conditions and personal hygiene. However, as a general guideline, it is recommended to replace disposable filters every 1 to 3 months, or as indicated by the manufacturer. This helps ensure that the filter is clean and functioning properly to provide optimal air quality during CPAP therapy.
Some CPAP machines also have reusable filters that can be cleaned and reused. These should typically be cleaned on a weekly basis and replaced every 3 to 6 months, or as recommended by the manufacturer. Regularly inspecting the filters for signs of wear, dirt build-up, or damage is important, as this may indicate the need for more frequent replacement or cleaning.
It’s worth noting that if you live in a particularly dusty or polluted environment, or if you have pets, you may need to replace or clean the filters more frequently to maintain effective filtration. Following the manufacturer’s instructions and consulting with your National Pharmacies Sleep Consultant can provide specific recommendations for filter maintenance and replacement based on your machine and individual needs.
How can I determine if my CPAP Therapy is effectively managing my Obstructive Sleep Apnoea (OSA)?
If you are currently using CPAP therapy, National Pharmacies provides a CPAP device data download review conducted by a Sleep Consultant. This review offers a 15-minute consultation, during which the consultant will download data from your CPAP device.
The purpose of this review is to assess the effectiveness of your CPAP therapy in managing your OSA. By analysing the data collected from your device, the consultant can evaluate various factors such as adherence to therapy, mask fit, pressure levels, and treatment efficacy. This information will be shared with your healthcare provider, enabling them to make informed decisions about your ongoing treatment.
It is important to regularly monitor the progress of your CPAP therapy to ensure it is effectively controlling your OSA. The CPAP device data download review offers valuable insights that can help optimise your treatment and improve your sleep quality.
The cost for this service is $28 for National Pharmacies members and $35 for non-members.
Schedule a CPAP Device Data Download appointment here.
What brands do National Pharmacies offer?
We collaborate with renowned brands; Phillips, Resmed, Fisher & Paykel, and Lowenstein.
We are committed to providing our patients with the highest quality equipment available. To ensure patient satisfaction, we offer a wide range of CPAP equipment from reputable brands, allowing individuals to choose the best option for their needs.
We provide a 30-day money back guarantee on a variety of Sleep Apnoea products. This means that if you are not completely satisfied with your recently purchased CPAP device or mask, you can return it with confidence. Please note that this guarantee applies to selected products only, and consultation fees are non-refundable. Terms and conditions do apply.
Can I buy a CPAP device from an overseas supplier?
If your CPAP machine is a genuine product, it should function in the same way regardless of where you purchase it. However, it’s important to note that the warranty associated with your machine may become void or not apply if it is not purchased from an authorised source. This is a crucial consideration that requires careful attention. The warranty provided for your CPAP machine is applicable only to devices that are approved by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) in Australia.
For example, Philips products are sold worldwide, but only the products sold through authorised distribution partners of Philips Australia are registered with the Australian regulatory body (TGA) and eligible for warranty provided by Philips Australia.
If you are contemplating purchasing a CPAP machine from overseas, it’s important to understand that the warranty may only be applicable in the country from which you made the purchase. Consequently, you may not be eligible for servicing or replacement of parts as required in Australia. If you encounter any issues with your machine, you may need to bear the shipping costs to have it serviced overseas or even travel to that country for the necessary support. They may also not be covered by Private Health Insurance. It is crucial to carefully weigh the potential costs and inconvenience involved in such situations before deciding whether purchasing from overseas is worth it.
Can I buy a CPAP device from an online supplier?
When buying from an online supplier it is vital that you consider the following prior to purchasing:
- How will your therapy be tailored to meet your specific needs? Your CPAP device should be set up with therapy pressures and preferences customised to your requirements. Additionally, your masks should be fitted according to your unique anatomy and personal preferences.
- Who will assess the data from your device to ensure its correct usage? How will this information be shared with your physician during your next visit? Maintaining open communication with your care team is crucial for receiving quality care both in the short and long term.
- What types of support are available in-person, over the phone, or online? What are the operating hours of this support? Throughout your treatment journey, it’s common to have questions about your CPAP treatment and equipment. Choosing a company that can cater to your preferred learning style, both now and in the future, is an important step towards ensuring the success of your treatment.
- If you encounter any issues with your device, what is the process for repairs or returns? How long does this typically take? It’s important to consider where you purchase your device, as it can impact the support you receive in case of problems.
Considering these factors, it’s essential to carefully evaluate all your needs and how you can receive continuous support throughout your therapy. If you would like to learn more, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
Does Private Health Insurance cover CPAP Therapy?
Certain services and products related to Sleep Apnoea may be eligible for coverage by Private Health Insurance. However, it is the patient’s responsibility to contact their Private Health insurer to inquire about the specific coverage and reimbursement rates. Different insurance organisations and levels of coverage may offer varying rebates. When purchasing Sleep Apnoea-related items from National Pharmacies, we will provide you with an official Tax Invoice for each transaction. This invoice can be used to submit a claim to your Private Health insurer for potential reimbursement.