Kids Eye Exams
Childhood is one of the most important stages in life to ensure healthy eyesight throughout schooling years and positive development for the future. It is recommended that children should start getting their eyes tested before they start school and as often as every 2 years during schooling.
Medicare covers eye tests done by an Optometrist once every 3 years for those under 65 years of age. You do not need a referral to book an eye test. All Optometrists at Optical by National Pharmacies offer bulk billing.
What happens in a kids eye exam?
- When you come in with your child, the optometrist will talk to you about any concerns you may have about your child’s vision and take them through a range of vision activities.
- Your child will look at pictures, words and objects. Once that’s checked, the optometrist will use specialised equipment to look more closely at their eyes.
- Once the examination is complete, if your child needs glasses they can choose from our range of 20+ frames. Our friendly staff can help your child choose a pair they love, but also one that fits the shape of their face.
- Your child’s glasses will be custom made with quality ZEISS clear lenses with UVProtect technology, giving sunglass-level UV protection for the eye and surrounding skin. They’ll be ready for collection in approximately one week!
- Upon collection of your child’s glasses, our staff will make any adjustments required to ensure the glasses sit comfortably and most importantly, correctly on your child’s face.
- You’ll be provided with a hard case to keep their glasses safe and also some tips on how to look after them. But of course, if at any time you have any questions or require further services/adjustments, you’re always welcome to talk to our staff in-store.
Watch National Pharmacies member Mabel experience her first eye exam at Optical by National Pharmacies Torrensville below.
Are you concerned that your child may have a vision problem? Read our full list of signs and symptoms or speak to an Optometrist at any of our Optical by National Pharmacies stores.